Sunday, February 10, 2013

McIntosh "White Privilege" - Quotes


“I have come to see white privilege as an invisible package of unearned assets that I can count on cashing in each day, but about which I was ‘meant’ to remain oblivious”(McIntosh 1).

 
This quote reminds me of something Dr. Bogad has said. Like McIntosh, Dr. Bogad believes we all have different tools, depending on our experiences. McIntosh compares being white to having a big set of tools, but pretending you do not notice that you are given more than somebody else. She believes that this is just as bad as acknowledging the privilege outright.

 

“When I am told about our national heritage or about "civilization", I am shown that people of my color made it what it is” (McIntosh 2).

 
McIntosh gives a long list of things privileged people take for granted. The list brings up many things that I personally take for granted at times. This item is particularly important to me because one day I will be teaching the history of all different kinds of religions, races and sexes. I think it will be important to keep in mind how I present the information to my students in the future.

 

“Disapproving of the system won't be enough to change them. I was taught to think that racism could end if white individuals changed their attitude… Individual acts can palliate but cannot end, these problems” (McIntosh 6).

 
This quote sums up the idea that the way privileged people are taught to look at race is not the most affective. In Allan Johnson’s Privilege, Power and Difference, he discusses the fact that you are not doing anything wrong by being privileged or not. If a privileged group ignores the fact that they are better off, it doesn’t change how they try to “help”. By setting the standards of what is helpful to the standard of living they are accustomed to proves the fact that they feel superior and better off.


 

1 comment:

  1. It is true that we all have different "tools" based on our experiences. It is special when people use their "tools" or talents together. It leads to innovative ideas that eventually help or teach people. I like how you noted about the way a lesson is presented to students (after 2nd quote). Sometimes we are thinking a specific way, but the people we talk to are visualizing or interpretting the topic in a different way. This can also be effective because it leads to multiple perspectives. Still, it is important to understand that we must be aware of how we present information to other people. Clear communication is important in order to teach. :)

    ReplyDelete